Monday, July 5, 2010

19 year old ridiculous Flirt, 'apparently'

Or so Ive been told.

As the Facebook group goes, im not flirting its called being nice!
It was quite the problem when I was like 14 or 15 or around that time when all that I was concerned about was the shortness of my school skirt and wether I could still nip down to the shop at lunch time and make it back in time to finish the german homework I should have done a week ago. I will openly admit I did come across as a total flirt sometimes when I was younger, but you'd think at 19 I would know better?

Of course I bloody do!
But a couple of weeks ago, on one of the VERY rare nights I was out(Brian Burke if your reading this I know your giving a slight snigger at that fact, *dont roll your eyes*) :P I was wearing a paticular necklace that I love. Ironically enough the necklace says 'Love' in nice swirly writing. Its kinda small but I like it.
Anyways we were all in the pub having a laugh and getting progressivly drunker, I started talking to a person who shall remained un-named whom I had not seen in a while. I wasnt paticularly close to this person we are more of a friend of a friend type of thing. Said person noticed my necklace and was looking at it for quite a bit,and seeing as Im small decided to first Patronise me by crouching down(there was no need to,said person was not that tall) and stare at my neclace with squinty eyes.
'I cant read that'' was the remark to my necklace,a scowl accumulating on their face,
'Oh it says Love,I thought it was kinda Cute ya know' was my response,
'Yeah right you just bought it so youd get fellas crouching down like I just did to stare at your rack'' was the speedy reply.
EH EXCUSE ME?! * I was thinking 'ehh wtf why would I, I havent exactly got a 'rack' to flaunt?'*
I just laughed it off and kinda tried to make a joke about it,but all I got was a bitchy look of seriousness and disgust in response.I seriously felt really self-conscience at that moment,all over a bloody necklace. At the time Id had a decent amount to drink and just didnt take heed and let it ruin my night,which saved me a lot of grief and ended up having a fabulous night.

But I hate hate hate thinking about the way that persons comment made me feel for that split second. They made me out to be a guy-grabbing exhitbitionist who'll wear certain things to get noticed. As far as Im concerned I really do think I dress quite well compared to a LOT of the choices of outfits you would see sometimes. I admit I will happily wear a skirt or dress that shows off the little bit of legs ive got because I am REALLY short! but I will compensate that by keeping my top half classy looking with a blazer/cardigan/jacket. But since when was it alright for people who dont really know each other to make comments like that to peoples faces in a highly critical and judgemental way? Said person had quite a nice outfit on I noticed, but I failed to comment on the fact that their tan-stained bra starps were on show for the whole world to see. Was this just sheer and pure bitchyness at its best or was I really in the wrong for wearing that necklace that they just happened to not be able to read. Or maybe it was dutch courage on their behalf and they ''didnt really mean to say it out loud''.
The way people and especially girls judge each on the clothes we wear and what we are trying to 'symbolize' is really quite judgemental and bitchy. Its not nice.
I dont think I can really debate this because soooooo many guys and girls will say 'if a girl is dressed like a slut shes probably is asking for it'. Thats all fair and well, but what if it is one little piece of your outfit like a freaking necklace??!!! Im sorry but it was a bit ridiculous. To have that one small item so analysed for its 'purpose' was really really pathetic.
I dont think I was in the wrong.

I will continue to wear that necklace when I want and how I want.

xoxox

No comments: